Search This Blog

Friday, September 25, 2026

Where My Writing Journey Began — With a Tiger Named River

I recently started Bre’s Writing Space Podcast, a place where I can talk about something that has been a huge part of my life for as long as I can remember: writing!

On the podcast, I plan to share writing tips, updates on stories I'm working on, behind-the-scenes looks at my books and characters, and both the joys and struggles that come with being a writer.

For my very first episode, I thought there was no better place to begin than at the very beginning of my writing journey.

And believe it or not, it all started with a tiger named River.

I Started Writing at Seven Years Old

I learned how to read when I was six years old, and by seven, I was already writing my own stories.

One of my biggest inspirations was River, my stuffed tiger puppet. I absolutely loved tigers, and River quickly became much more than another stuffed animal to me.

He became a character.

My imagination was filled with ideas about River and the adventures he could have, so I started putting those ideas onto paper.

Once I started writing, I didn't want to stop!

Out of everything I wrote as a child, I probably wrote more stories about River than anything else. Looking back, I think those little River stories were where my love for creating characters and telling stories really began.

More Than 50 Stories by Age 10!

As I got older, my love for writing continued to grow.

By the time I was ten years old, I had written more than 50 stories! Some were little stories, while others were actually pretty long.

Of course, seven-year-old me had no idea where writing would eventually take me.

I wasn't thinking about becoming an author or what I might be doing years later. I simply knew one thing:

I loved telling stories.

My writing has changed a lot since then. I've learned more, grown as a writer, and created many different characters and stories.

But it all traces back to that seven-year-old girl sitting down and imagining adventures about her tiger.

And I think there's something really special about remembering where God allowed it all to begin.

Just Start Writing

If you're a new writer reading this, I want to give you the same encouragement I shared on my podcast:

Just start writing.

Your first story doesn't have to be amazing.

It doesn't have to be perfect.

You don't have to understand everything about writing before you're allowed to call yourself a writer.

Do you have a character you love? Write about them.

Do you have an idea that keeps popping into your head? Put it on paper.

Is there a story living inside your imagination? See where it takes you.

You never know what God might do with something that seems small right now.

For me, it started at seven years old with a stuffed tiger named River. Years later, River became part of a ministry through YouTube and books.

I'm incredibly thankful to God for taking those little beginnings and allowing them to grow into something much bigger than I could have imagined.

And I'm excited to see where the next page takes me.

Write with faith. Create with purpose. And trust God with your story.

I'll see you on the next page! 📖❤️


No comments:

Post a Comment

Stories From My Childhood, Are Finally Being Told!

I’ve been revisiting stories I wrote when I was young and rewriting them as full-color picture books. It has been so much fun reconnecting w...